Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Healing Power of Books

I tell my students that, in addition to being informative, persuasive and entertaining, writing can also be cathartic. Yesterday's blog proved to be so for me. Writing those words motivated me to make a change! I got myself out of bed, first of all, and took a long, hot bubble bath - the first in 6 weeks. As is my usual habit, I took a book with me. My dear childhood friend, Kimberly, had mailed me a package full of books and jewelry. Knowing she has excellent taste in all things, I read one from her package.

I read The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry. I read the first 5 chapters in the tub, then moved to the couch. In the middle of the day I moved to the outside with Ben and Bella, our dogs, and read in the sun for awhile. I had the delicious experience of reading a really, really good book in one day. It has some of my favorite elements in a good read: an unreliable narrator and a surprise ending.

I have not read a book since before the surgery, and those of you who know me well know this is very unusual for me. One of the greatest gifts my mother gave me is my love of reading. I typically finish one and go right on to the next. If there is too much time inbetween I start to feel sad, like something is missing. Given that this is such a big part of my life, no wonder I was feeling like I didn't recognize myself! There's nothing like 6 weeks in bed watching mind numbing TV to make you feel out of sorts.

I spent the entire day out of bed and away from the TV yesterday. In rediscovering the joy that comes with a good read, I feel like I found myself again. I am able to read now because I have been off the pain medication for several days and my brain has cleared. Another thing I tell my students is that if you love to read, you are never bored. So, I am off to read another one of the books Kimberly sent me. If you're reading, Kimberly....thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Namaste, Jill

2 comments:

  1. So happy to read this post which could have been titled, "Who Is This Woman Part II" or "Woman Found". I am sure BandB enjoyed the al fresco bibliophilia too.

    ReplyDelete