Thursday, November 4, 2010

Entertaiment, Magic, and Chemo

I haven't written for awhile, not because I'm too sick, mostly because I can't think of anything to say. The Cancer and the treatment have taken over my life, for now, and other than visits to the doctor I am always home. I spend 90% of my time in my big, comfy bed, either reading, watching my Google TV, or I'm on my laptop writing my blog, answering emails or Facebooking. Thank goodness for technology!

I read 2 more of the books Kimberly sent me: Desert Eyes (I think that's the title. It's about scheherazade and it's beautifully written) and Take Another Look which was compelling and hard to put down. I also read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, and I highly recommend that trilogy. All 3 were hard to put down. So sad that the author died shortly after delivering the 3 manuscripts. I'm always up for a good read if anyone would like to send me books or suggestions so I can get them through amazon.com. I like novels that are literary and look at human universals through the characters. I'm kind of over sci-fi and fantasy, although I do enjoy a good vampire story - loved the Twilight series, the House of Night Series, and the Sookie Stackhouse series.

I admit I have been watching too much TV. Other than Jon Stewart and Bill Maher, most of what I watch is old. When I was a kid I loved Bewitched and wanted to be Samantha, or at least have her powers! I love Charmed even more than Bewitched, because the Halliwell sisters don't have wimpy men who try to prohibit their use of magic! I evolved from wanting to be Samantha to wanting to be Phoebe. There are 4 episodes of Charmed on, every day. I tend to watch all 4, even though I have seen the series from the beginning to the end (7 seasons) countless times. It just never gets old for me. The Power of Three!!

I have also been streaming Netflix onto my TV. Send me movie ideas - I'm running out!

I saw my oncologist yesterday and had chemo. I will be doing Gemzar one week and then Gemzar and Carboplatinum the second week, both on Wednesday afternoons, through December. I'll have the CA125 blood test and a PET scan after 3 rounds to see how it's going. At some point after that I will have Taxol in my IP Port (goes directly into my abdomen and requires 24 hospitalization). The Taxol will cause my hair to fall out, so before that happens I will have Lizette shave it off. After the chemo is over I will probably have radiation. My cancer has stayed in the pelvic region, so they can zap it directly. The samples they sent to the lab didn't grow and the results were inconclusive. Hopefully that means they are finished growing inside me!!

I have been reading and hearing about lots of women with my cancer who have one or two recurrences and then go on to be cancer free for years. The treatments are improving all the time and my doctors are wonderful. I know I will, indeed, Kick Cancer's Butt. I am feeling positive, well cared for, and very loved.

I miss the yoga studio, walking my dog, teaching my students, leaving my house to do anything...preferably something fun! I know my life will get back to that, so I am patient and confident that I am winning this battle.

Namaste, Jill

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for great update. I will look forward to the new pictures after the hair trim party. I am glad all the cocktails are keeping the "Kicking Butt" going.

    I use to like "The Man from Uncle", "Mighty Mouse", and "Mr. Ed".

    As far as Netflix steaming here are some ideas for series you can start and then jump off "the boat" at any time:
    "Lie to Me", "In Plain Sight", "Leverage", "Army Wives", "Monk"(?)

    Movies on Netflix:
    Songcatcher
    Warmsprings
    Man Named Pearl (streaming)g)
    War Dance (streaming)
    To Sir with Love (streaming)
    Water
    Paradise Road (streaming)
    Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress (streaming)
    Rabbit-Proof Fence (streaming)
    Ameerka (streaming)
    The Motor Cycle Diaries (streaming)
    Paperclips (streaming)
    The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill (streaming)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so very proud of your awesome attitude and just your wonderful spirit. I'm inspired by your bravery and sense of humor.
    hang in there
    Janet Dominguez

    ReplyDelete