Thursday, November 18, 2010

Yoga, Part Two

On September 10th I wrote "Yoga, Part One." It was the day before Power to the Peaceful, and four days before surgery. I intended for my next post to be part two, and I expected that to be a day or two after surgery. I actually did write it, but I neglected to save because this site automatically saves. Perhaps because of poor connectivity, it didn't save that day. I was only able to sit up because I was in a hospital bed, and writing it was difficult. I labored over it, then lost it. I had to distance myself from it before I could rewrite it, so I just reread the first one for the first time. One of the great things about writing is it creates a record of who you were in that moment in time. I had no idea what I was really getting into, and that's a good thing. Anyway, back to yoga.

As soon as I was well enough after surgery in 2008, I would go to Yoga in the Vines for a private, therapeutic yoga class with Cathy. She helped me to regain my physical strength and to develop my spiritual strength. It's wonderful how much strength turning inward, breathing, and meditating gives you. The poses become meditative also, so the yoga experience is very zen. Everyone should take the time to find their zen state, every day. It has multiple benefits for your physical, emotional and spiritual health. I don't remember now how long we did private classes before I was strong enough to go back to regular classes at the studio, but I do know I took a class with Jean for the first time in November. It was another private class because only I showed up that day. I was weak and I remember struggling with the vinyasas. I took classes with both Cathy and Jean until January, when Cathy sold the studio to Danielle. When Cathy stopped teaching yoga, I knew I would have to try yogaflirt as soon as I was strong enough. I couldn't imagine my life without regular classes with Cathy. Thankfully there was still Jean.

Jean D'Abreau has been teaching yoga for 6 years, and he is only 23. I love that he is so young and has so much to teach me. I have not practiced with lots of different teachers, but I know Jean's class is unique. He often plays Jimmy Hendrix during class. He can twist and contort his body into any shape, I think. His classes are fun, challenging, and deeply spiritual for me. He makes me laugh, he makes me think, and he taught me to do inversions. Going upside down was terrifying for me at first. Jean would help me get up, than I would experience fear and disorientation once I got there. The first time I did a headstand, and later a handstand, by myself I was so excited! Fighting cancer made the fear of going upside down seem silly, and Jean gave me the confidence to make it happen. As my yoga journey continued, I gained strength and got to the point where I was strong enough to try level one at Cathy's yogaflirt studio.

People tend to think stripper when they hear about yogaflirt, but that's not what it's all about. It's more like spinning on the playground bars, with a lot more athleticism. The spins are fun and very challenging. The flirts who have been spinning since the beginning are amazing to behold, and watching Cathy is a jaw dropping experience. Being a flirt is also a very spiritual experience. The friendship and camaraderie that develops as you go through the levels with the same group of women is extraordinary. You begin learning about concepts like ahimsa from the beginning - no judgement of yourself or of others. There were spins I never mastered, but I got nothing but encouragement and support from the teachers and the other flirts. Like yoga, it helped me to conquer my fears. I never played on the playground bars because I was too scared. Some of the spins are terrifying at first, and if felt so good the first time I successfully mastered one, with helpful tips from Julie, Becca or Cathy. Angela offers a monthly meditation workshop for flirts called Inner Journey, where we meditate, journal, and share our thoughts. Yogaflirt changed us all in positive ways. For me, I gained even more strength, both physically and spiritually. Yoga and yogaflirt, for me, put me in touch with my mind, body and spirit connection. They gave me the strength to fight cancer, and I firmly believe that they saved my life once and will do so again.

Where am I in my yoga journey now? I am doing private classes with Jean on Saturdays. Yesterday I did a private with Cathy and we'll do another next Monday. They both come to my home and they are both wonderful. I have learned so much from both of them, and I feel so blessed to have them in my life. The universe sent them to me to help me grow and to help me fight. Jean's early morning class in SLO often send their intention out to me, and it is powerful and much appreciated. I intend to start attending that class next summer. I will go back to level one and restart my yogaflirt journey as soon as I am able. In the meantime, my private classes with my two awesome teachers are making me strong and happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment