Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Writing

Writing for such a public forum is a new experience for me. I have always shared my writing with my students, and I have many folders and notebooks full of my writing in my classroom. I tend to do the assignments I give them and show them my process. Because English teachers did not teach it as a process when I was a kid, or maybe just because it's the way I am, my process is messy. I rarely prewrite - I just jump in and start writing. I always do my introductions last when writing an essay. I don't know what I'm going to say until I say it and I write the intro to fit what I said. If it's something I intend to share I go through many drafts and revisions. I know to walk away from it and revisit it later before I share it or publish it in any way. If it is going out to parents I had better ask Debbie Martin to proof it for me, because as writers we don't see our own mistakes. In the beginning, I only wrote when I had a topic in mind. Now I write every day I feel up to it and I just jump in and get started. Like I tell my students, getting started is the hardest part.

Last night I amused myself by reading my blog posts on my big Google TV. There is at least one error in every one of them, which is embarrassing for an English teacher. I never took a typing class, and I am a terrible typist. Add chemo brain to that and mistakes happen. I write these entries quickly, read them over once and publish. I think from now on I will take my own advice and let is rest awhile before I publish. I can't be setting a bad example for my students!!

One lesson I am learning here is that it is very good for my psyche to write every day. I tell my students it is cathartic to write and I encourage them to keep a journal. I get so busy during the school year that I don't take the time to follow my own advice. Many years I have had a local poet from California Poets in the Schools come into my classroom and teach a poetry workshop for a few days. I sit down and write with the class and I always share what I write with them. I find this inspires me and I start writing poetry at home for awhile afterward. I find it very rewarding and I don't know why I always stop at some point.

The writing folders in my classroom are full of all different kinds of writing. Poetry, Quick Writes, essays, even a short story or two. The short stories are, frankly, embarrassing. As much as I love reading it, fiction writing is not my thing. I really enjoy reading my poems the most. As I said in as earlier blog, when we write it captures who we are in that moment in time. Sometimes I'm surprised that some of my poems are actually pretty good. Even when they're not, they remind me of something I was going through or feeling when I wrote it.

I know a lot of people are reading this who are not official followers. It seems whenever I talk to someone they tell me they are reading it. I appreciate the support and encouragement - despite the imperfections I get lots of positive feedback. It's one more way of feeling connected and that's a beautiful thing. I encourage all of you to write a poem, write in a journal, write a blog...keep a record of your life. Believe me, the older you get the less you remember!!

Namaste, Jill

3 comments:

  1. as if you are reading my mind...my girls just got their 1st official journals for Thanksgiving and they are writing like crazy. There is nothing like it...or like you, for that matter. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me of the power of writing! I have always treasured my kid's essays, especially the autobiographical ones. They capture moments in time to be remembered and treasured even better than photographs (can't believe I said that) haha....I have one disagreement with you though....I think if you spend too much time thinking about writing and worrying about it being perfect you may never do it. Just my own self observation. I admire anyone who puts their thoughts down even in rough form and maybe the rough form adds to the character of the writing and adds even more insight? Just a thought....keep writing!
    p.s. I am reading "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" YOU WOULD LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement Jill. I understand your concern to keep an error or two or three to less than one especially from a writing teacher's perspective. I am just glad you are enjoying the writing. But, I also like to think that informal writing deserves a few quik erors to show it is real and human and light and not work.

    I love your writing. Your blog will make an excellent book. It will be quick and easy to convert to hardcover at some point. I encourage you to add a photo every now and then as it is nice to have those in the hardcover book that this blog is sure to become at some point.
    Love,
    Your Loyal Follower, Mark

    ReplyDelete