Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Comfort Food

I go in for chemo this afternoon, but it's one kind instead of two so hopefully I will feel as well afterward as I do now. The first time I fought this battle the chemo left me with neuropathy (numbness in the hands and feet) and it affected my brain. Specifically my short term memory and my ability to spell. Fortunately over time I recovered fully. This time, so far, the only problem I'm having other than the nausea is that my mouth tastes like metal...all of the time. No amount of flossing, brushing or rinsing helps. Water tastes just awful right now, and I really need to be drinking lots of it. Sparkling water helps. My friend Mary brought me some and it was an excellent idea. I find myself craving milk and drinking lots of it, which is something I haven't done in years. I think I had 4 glasses of milk yesterday! I also crave sweet things - cookies etc - which is really not the best thing for me. Many people believe that cancer loves sugar, and that cancer patients should stay away from it. It's hard to deny the cravings, however. Sugar has always been comfort food for me. When we were sick, our Mom would buy us candy and make us ice cream sodas. As a child my favorite lunch was sugar and butter sandwiches on white bread washed down with a glass of chocolate milk. To me, getting sick means watching TV and eating goodies, which is pretty much what I've been doing. When this is all over, I'll have a healthier diet. Right now, my oncologist and Casey are worried about my weight loss, so calories are good. Bring on the cookies and milk!

1 comment: