Tuesday, November 23, 2010

:)

The past week had been amazing. I have not been nauseous in over a week, and I still have hair! I went to the doctor yesterday and both the nurse and my doc commented on how good my hair looks. Not bad, considering it hasn't been colored or cut in over two months. I know I am going to lose it at some point, so I am grateful every day it's still with me!! It's so nice to feel relatively normal and healthy. I was nauseous for so long that it was starting to feel like a permanent state of being. I still have limitations and I still have some pain, but I can now do two or three loads of laundry instead of having to go back to bed after one. I have been cooking breakfast and doing all the dishes. These things makes me feel good for accomplishing something and also for lightening Casey's load. I'm used to being a busy, productive person. Lying in bed reading and watching TV not only gets boring, it starts to affect my self esteem. Our self worth comes from what we accomplish. I know I am battling cancer and accomplishing something extremely important, but it's difficult to feel helpless and dependent on others. It feels good to contribute. Casey, as usual, has been wonderful. When I was unable to get out of bed without a struggle he did everything for me. He took charge of everything from my medication to my meals. Suddenly everything I usually do became his responsibility. He never complains and he does everything with a smile and a song. After the surgery I had a period where I was experiencing anxiety in the evenings. Casey would bring his guitar and either he'd sing to me or we'd sing together. It would calm me down and help me to sleep. He takes me to every doctor and chemo appointment. He is so much more than a husband and a caregiver. He's my best friend and my biggest cheerleader. I can't imagine going through this, or anything else, without him. I go back in for chemo tomorrow, but I'm sure the nausea will be minor and I'll recover quickly. Thanksgiving with Casey and Sydney!!

Namaste, Jill

2 comments:

  1. Jill,
    I am on your side. I have been in your place and I can relate on a cellular level with what you have said. Ya wanna know something weird? I have a hard time remembering how bad it was. I am 18 months past my "injury" and I can't remember how horrible I felt. Cast your eyes to the future. Thankfully.
    Love, dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill,
    Casey looks at you with so much love and respect. It is beautiful to see. And, I am glad to hear that his actions reflect that obvious adoration. I am also happy to hear that the nausea is dissipating. To me, nausea and vomiting trump pain as a misery. Sounds like you are on the upswing.

    I have a few books and will bring you dinner next week if you would like.

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete