Friday, June 3, 2011

Scar Tissue Yoga Poses for my Ovarian Cancer Sisters

This blog is for my sisters on the Ovarian Cancer Alliance site. Many women end up with painful scar tissue from the debulking surgery, and what some call the "front butt" where the tummy gets large. Thanks to Cathy and to Jean I have solved both of these problems. This blog is for my sisters, and it is going to be a series of pictures of me and Casey in yoga poses designed to deal with these issues. Thanks for the help, Jean and Rachel. Love you!

The first pose is a simple Bridge Pose. The next step is to put a block under your sacrum at the lowest level and then graduate to the higher level. The higher you go, the more you stretch out that scar tissue:


Casey gets into Child's Pose, I put my sacrum on his, he grabs my wrists over his head and pulls gently:


Next, Casey does Cat/Cows and we breathe together:


Jean calls this "Backpack Pose." Casey bends his knees, I put my sacrum on his, and he lifts me up and bends forward:



Backbend over the ottoman - took awhile to build up to this one:


I don't have a picture of this one, but Jean has me Backbend over the edge of the chaise lounge. It's intense and I can only hold it for three breaths, so far.


Partner Work: Casey is helping me to deepen my twist, which gets those nasty toxins out:


AAAh.....Savasana, Corpse Pose, or final relaxation:


My scar tissue is no longer "crunchy" and my belly is flat. Ovaca sisters, I highly recommend finding a yoga teacher or two to do privates with. Jean, Rachel and Cathy keep my spirits up, they keep me positive, they keep me strong, they keep me healthy, and they fill me up with love. I love all of them, I love Casey, and I love Yoga!

Namaste,
Jill

1 comment: