Saturday, May 7, 2011

Good Things Come in Threes!

Yesterday was a very special day. Casey say if he had known how wonderful and rewarding it is to be a teacher he would have chosen that path. He says this because of my students and how they reach out to me, and that's what made yesterday special.

First, I checked the mail and there was an envelope from AJHS. Inside was a letter from Allise Jeffries, one of my current students that I am missing out on. She wrote me a lovely letter, telling me her grandmother's cancer is in remission and she hopes mine is, too. Then she said "You changed the way I look at people, in a good way." That means the world to me. We spent the first two weeks of school (and the only time I was there) doing Challenge Day activities. This is to break down barriers, stop the bullying, and teach them tolerance for others. It's good to know that Allise got the message. I've been wondering if I want to do it again next year. I took it further this past year than I ever have before, and it was intense. There were lots of tears, and I spent break, lunch and after school with various kids who had heavy hearts. Allise validated that for me and now I know it's important that I continue this work with my kids. If you're reading, Allise, thank you so much and I love you, girl!

Second, my wonderful AVID kids and my sub, Heather Wolcott, all sent me texts on Terri Mylan's phone. Each of them sent me a sweet message, and at the end they sent me a group picture. Heather, thanks so much for letting them do this. It meant so much to me, and made me feel so loved. I love you, AVID kids!!

Third, last night I heard a knock on the door and I opened it to discover Jake and Hannah Cuen on my doorstep. Jake is in college and Hannah is in high school now, but they were both my students. They came by with their mom to bring me a gift certificate for a massage at the Spa of the Central Coast. It was so very sweet of her to think of me and purchase this for me, and it was so wonderful to see her awesome kids. I love hearing that my kids, especially smart ones like Jake, are in college. I love it when I have all of the kids in a family, too. I tend to know the parents better when this happens, and the kids also. I love Jake and Hannah, and seeing them on my doorstep made me happy.

I am so glad that I decided to become a teacher. I decided this when I was very young, and I'm not even sure exactly why. I suspect I knew, even in elementary school, that I didn't want to give up summers off and all of those other vacation days. I used to play school in my play room, teaching my stuffed animals. I wasn't a kid who loved school, except for Mr. Cloer's class 5th grade class and every English class I ever took, so it wasn't that. Whatever the reason, I'm very grateful. Being a part of the teaching community has enabled me to stay home to focus on fighting this disease, thanks to the generosity of the teachers of A-town. My insurance has covered everything but co-pays. Add to that all of the love I receive from both the teachers and my students, past and present, and I am one blessed English teacher. Loving your job makes you love your life, and I highly recommend finding something to do that you love and makes you happy. If you can make a living doing what you love to do, your life will be happy.

My life is very, very, very happy. Big love and big thanks to the wonderful teachers and kids of A-town. I love you all and you make my life complete.

Namaste,
Jill

1 comment:

  1. Your AJHS family misses you. Congratulations on your 20th year as a teacher. You ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete