Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Wonderful Village

There has been so much going on that I haven't written in a week. Last night, when my insomnia was raging, I could feel the words bottled up inside. I need this outlet! The "It takes a village to kick cancer's butt" fundraiser was amazing. They put me on a rocking chair throne, crowned me with flowers, and showered me with love. I have never felt so much love. It's such a gift to know how loved I am, and it helps, so much. All of that love flowing into me is a big part of what keeps me strong. Casey and I are so grateful. It was Chris Molina's idea, and he and his beautiful wife, Sue (the other 8th grade English teacher) got the ball rolling. The teachers all pitched in and I can't even believe how hard everyone worked on my behalf. I love you, my AJHS family.

For those of you who weren't there, I will describe it the best I can. The winery is beautiful and it was a warm, sunny evening. As we drove in the first person I saw was Cristal Fernandez, one of my AVID students. I had to jump out of Stella and hug her, I was so excited to see her. I knew that Katie and Lyssa, also AVID students, were going to be helping, but I didn't know that Cristal, Paul, Nadia, Brenda and Cynthia were also going to be there. They are all AVID kids from our first two years of AVID. I love those kids and having them there made it even more special. We parked next to Denise Davis and her son Jake, who was also my student but is all grown up now. Jill and Meg were at the table checking people in, and they stayed there all night. You girls rock! The silent auction items were amazing and people went home with some really cool stuff - beautiful jewelry, hand made quilts, Bob Canepa photographs, baskets of wine and other goodies...amazing. Bob was our photographer, and the pictures are wonderful. He also took us out to his car and let me pick a photograph from a recent show. I picked the one of the dancing egret. It is bathed in golden light and looks like it's dancing. My mom loved egrets, and it made me think of her and feel her with me. Bob is so talented, he's just incredible. We arrived just a bit after 5:00, when the event started, but there were already lots of people there. They reserved two tables for us, and I had a rocking chair filled with comfy blankets and pillows. I don't know who thought of that, but it was genius. It really helped me to be in such a comfortable chair. Even though I feel strong, it was a big evening for me and I sat most of the time. I felt like a queen receiving her subjects, except I was receiving lots of hugs! Johnna, our art and hospitality teacher, is a wonderful cook. She and the teachers made all of the food - I believe Johnna, Debbie, Carol and Lori were in Johnna's classroom preparing food Friday night. The food was organic and delicious! Johnna even made her grandmother's yeast rolls and they were yummy! Lori, my principal, was the auctioneer for the live auction. She was like a fierce warrior up there, egging people on and encouraging them to bid higher. Lori is a formidable woman, and she is definitely someone you want on your side. It was good to see her husband, Reggie, and her son, Evan. Reggie worked at AJHS until last year, when he switched to being a groundskeeper for the district. We miss him. Evan is now a very handsome college boy, but he was my student too. With me were my brother David, his wife, Chris, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law, Sydney, Yvonne, Susan, Chas, and Chris and Helen from San Diego. I really appreciate everyone making the effort to come for the event. Cathy, my beautiful yoga angel, and her husband Michael were there, too. I don't know the exact count, but I'm guessing there were about 200 people there. They haven't told me how much money was raised, but I am humbled by the love and the generosity. The music was great. Janice and her husband, Ted, played first. Ted plays guitar and Janice sings beautifully. They were awesome! The band was Level 41, and Jackie, who plays the congas, is a cancer survivor. She and her husband are in the band together, and their original music is about her cancer journey. I don't know how they found this great band with this meaningful connection, but it was cool. Jackie and I have similar attitudes toward our journeys, and I value the connection.

That old cliche "you play, you pay" proved to be true. Sunday morning I felt like I had a terrible hangover, even though of course I drank only water. My head was pounding and the nausea was raging. Casey rubbed my head and David rubbed my neck and made me his magic bubby oatmeal. I love my brother's oatmeal! I felt better by the evening, and it was well worth it. My chest port was even a bit sore from all of the hugging!

So, to everyone who worked so hard to make it happen, to everyone who attended, to everyone who donated and bid...I can never express how grateful I am and how loved you made me feel. Casey and I feel so blessed to be a part of such a giving, loving community. Thank you, from the depths of my soul and the bottom of my heart.

Here is the URL so you can see Bob's photos:

http://bcanepa.smugmug.com/Other/JILLS-FUNDRAISER/16876834_RK8N5G#1274544787_rQNQn3x

Namaste,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment