Monday, December 20, 2010

All You Need is Love...

The love and support I have received and continue to receive amazes me. Yesterday Terri, one of my fabulous AVID students, dropped off two presents. One is a beautiful rose plant, for me and for Casey for taking such good care of me. That one is from Terri. The other was in a beautifully wrapped package, and it contained notes, cards and drawings from my AVID class. I sat and read them and cried happy tears. One of my best decisions was to become a teacher. The kids give me so much love, and I love them in return like crazy. Being a teacher has caused my heart to expand to encompass the many kids I've taught and loved over the years. Next year will be my 20th year at the junior high, so that's a lot of kids! It's very difficult for me to be away from them, to spend just enough time with them to get attached and then have to leave was hard. I also received a present from Becca, my awesome yogaflirt teacher. She brought me Christmas cookies. She not only baked me cookies, she went to the Wellness Kitchen in Templeton and got two recipes for healthy cookies. They are delicious!!

Last week I discovered that there is a six month cap on donated sick leave. The teachers have been generously donating so that I have still been receiving my full paycheck. This is the second year they have done this for me, and it has been an enormous help to us. Starting in April, my sub's pay comes out of my paycheck. The teachers mobilized as soon as they heard this. Together with Chris Molina, who is married to Sue, the other 8th grade English teacher, they are planning a fundraiser for me. They tell me it will be a "Jill style party" with live music, dinner, dancing...my kind of party for sure! I am humbled by this gesture and so glad to be a part of the AJHS family.

Cathy and the yogaflirt women are also planning a fundraiser for me. It will involve stilletto twister!! yogaflirt has done so much for me. It brought me into a community of fabulous women who have become my friends. It also gave me a great deal of physical strength. I can already sit up in bed like a normal person, which would amaze you if you saw my incision! My abs were strong going into this. The lessons that go along with the classes added to my spiritual strength as well.

One of the gifts I have received from my cancer is that I realize how many people care about me. As I've said before, that knowledge gives me strength and keeps me positive. It's difficult to feel sorry for yourself when so many people are reaching out. I am beyond sick of being in bed and feeling bad, but the outpouring of love keeps me on track.

Namaste, Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment