Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Perfect Gift

I had an awesome day yesterday, thanks to Randy and Dona. They came to visit me and brought me two of my favorite things - See's candy and Pat Conroy's new book, My Reading Life. Pat Conroy is one of the greatest living American writers, in my opinion. I even loved My Losing Season, which is about basketball. Only Pat Conroy could write a book about basketball that I would love. I read his new book in one sitting yesterday, which is another favorite thing to do. There's nothing better than a book that's so good you don't want to put it down. It did what great books should do - immersed me in a different world and made me want to be a better person. When he wrote about his high school English teacher it made me want to be a better teacher. When he discussed great novels and writers it made me want to be a better reader and have a better memory! It made me want to get any book he discussed that I haven't read yet and read it immediately. In short, it inspired me. I felt inspired, and it felt good to spend the day with the TV off. I had also been hoping someone would give me some See's candy, so that was also much appreciated by both Casey and me. So, big thanks to Randy and Dona. It's wonderful to have friends who know you so well they give you the perfect gift.

When you think of someone who is battling cancer, happiness isn't the first thing that comes to mind. Happy is exactly how I feel all the time. Happy and grateful. I'm a bit bored sometimes, but I am a person who enjoys a quiet day at home. I miss my students and colleagues terribly, but not getting up every morning at 5:30 is pretty good. All of the people who love me reaching out to me makes me feel happy. Yoga with Cathy and Jean makes me extremely happy. Being married to Casey, and having him here every day, makes me deliriously happy.

So, when you think of me, know that I am doing well, feeling strong and happy. Remember to ask not only that my cancer is gone, ask that it is gone for good. This type of cancer has a nasty habit of recurring, but mine is gone for good. Obliterated, Vanquished, disintegrated.

Namaste, Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment