Monday, December 6, 2010

Staying Positive

I was just watching a video Anne posted on Facebook of Michael Franti and Spearhead performing on the Craig Ferguson show. The song was "Hey, Hey, Hey" and it reflects my philosophy of life. It's about appreciating every moment in your life, no matter what you are facing. It is this philosophy that keeps me positive despite the cancer. It isn't always easy, valuing my life while spending all my time sequestered from the world. Fortunately for me, I was born with a relentlessly positive attitude. I rarely worry about anything. It just isn't in my nature. My attitude has always been that worrying doesn't change the outcome or do anybody any good. In fact, since I believe in the power of the mind, I think that worrying can call bad things to you. This is why I spend time, every day, visualizing the chemo obliterating the cancer for good. I think this is every bit as important as the treatment. One of the first things my oncologist told me is that a positive attitude is essential to beating the cancer. He recognized that I am a positive person and he felt that it was gone for good the first time. Apparently there were lessons yet to be learned and here I am again.

My biggest challenge right now is fighting the boredom. Thanks goodness for the streaming Netflix movies and TV shows. I am reading a lot, but when you do little more than read and watch TV there is plenty of time for both. There are so many channels and so many shows that it's easy to miss out on a good one. I have been enjoying watching shows that are no longer on, and watching them in their entirety. I finished Heroes yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Too bad it was canceled and ends rather abruptly, but it does seem appropriate that it ends with Claire showing her ability to the world. I'm currently involved with Eureka, which is also excellent. I see a trend here...I like shows about magic, special abilities and science that seems like magic. Bewitched, Charmed, Star Trek, Heroes, Eureka...all my life I have wanted to twitch my nose or wave my hand and do magic.

They say we only use 10% of our brain capacity. The human brain is still largely a mystery. Imagine what would happen if we knew how to use all 100%. When a group of like minded people concentrate on the same thing, things happen. This is the power of prayer, meditation, etc. This is why it's so helpful that so many people are praying, meditating, putting me in their yoga intention or just sending me positive energy. Cathy says we need to be specific in what we ask for, so please ask not only that I beat the cancer, ask that it is gone for good. On my list serve this morning I read about a woman who has battled this cancer six times. That will not be me. I will defeat it this time and I will go on to retire somewhere near a river and I will live to be old with Casey by my side. Take that, cancer.

Namaste, Jill

1 comment:

  1. Jill, more than 10% of my brain(heck, I am going for the full 100%) is focused on you continuing to be positive and beat this cancer and have it gone forever!!!

    NetFlix and no commercials is great.
    Recommendations, perhaps: Shut Up and Sing, A Touch of Greatness, Invictus, I am David,

    ReplyDelete