Monday, February 21, 2011

Milestones


This is my happy Buddah, who sits on my bedside table. I have another one in the bathroom. They remind me to begin each day feeling happy and filled with joy. I am not Buddhist, but we do have images of him all over our house. He's just such a happy, peaceful, non-judgmental symbol. I believe that happiness is a choice that we make, every day. It's not a bad idea to have something visual to remind you of that. Some people write affirmations on their mirrors. I have a red pen I got at the Next Step Challenge Day workshop that is designed for writing on mirrors. The mirror in our bedroom, which I don't change often, says: "I 'heart symbol' Casey" and "I'm going to kick cancer's A**." Whatever works, right? The important thing is to stay as happy and positive as possible, otherwise what's the point?

I have come to love hitting milestones or turning corners in my life. Recovering from surgery and from chemotherapy is all about milestones: The first day you get out of bed and walk, the first time you sit up at the table for a meal, and so on. In my yoga practice, it's lovely when a pose that used to feel uncomfortable suddenly feels yummy. Or a pose that used to scare me is mastered. Yogaflirt is also all about milestones. Mastering a spin, the sliding dog tilt, getting closer to going upside down...these things are accomplishments and make me feel proud of myself. As adults sometimes we tend to stay with the things we have always done, and we lose that confidence boost of mastering a new skill or subject. Last night, for the first time, I could remember which chord was which (only working on C,D and G), I could play all three of them without any of the strings sounding off because my fingers are clumsy, and I was able to move between the three chords fairly well. I still have to look at my left hand to do it, but I'm sure that will come soon. I got to this level much faster than either Casey or I thought I would. So, you can teach an old teacher new tricks. I can't wait until I can play a song, and Casey will be ecstatic if I ever write one. I just feel proud of myself for taking on the challenge, for sticking with it, and for beginning to feel successful. Great happiness booster!

I see my oncologist tomorrow at 11:15, so remember the cancer gone forever, clear scan, CA125 at 7 or less mantra!!

Casey is having me learn on his old Fender:


Namaste, Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment