Saturday, February 5, 2011

Thoughtful Moments


This is a photo of my AVID class, doing some team building exercises. We have a lot of fun in AVID, and we bond in a special way. I start with them today because they did something so sweet for me yesterday. They got together and passed around what I assume was Angelica's phone, and they each sent me a text message, telling me they love me and they miss me. I have been feeling so disconnected from my kids and my classroom, so it meant a lot to know they are still thinking of me. This class stays together for two years, so we already spent a year together. We play team building games on Fridays and we go on field trips. These experiences make us closer. Last year we went to Stanford and to UCSB together. This year Meg, Amelia and Kara stepped in for me and took them to CSU Monterey Bay and to the Monterey Aquarium. I love all of my kids, but I get especially close to my AVID kids. It made my day to hear from them yesterday, and that was their goal.

Later on in the day, two packages arrived on my doorstep. Debra, who recently sent me flowers and made a difficult day better, sent me a beautiful yoga/meditation CD that will be wonderful for my private classes. She also sent me aromatherapy patches to help with stress, energy, sleep...what a thoughtful gift and a wonderful friend. She also emailed me pictures from the 1980's - one of Sydney and her sister Ande and one of Debra and I at my parents' house in Eureka. We all had the curly, Bon Jovi inspired hair do!! They made me smile.

Last night Patrick, my boyfriend from 1981-1983, posted the Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson video "Say, Say, Say" on my wall. The video was filmed in Los Alamos in 1983. Patrick and I went down there after Troy heard about it on the radio and told us. They had been filming for three days but we were only there for the last day. We were having breakfast, trying to decide how we were going to get in to see Paul, when a woman approached us and asked us if we wanted to be extras in the video. I had just been hired to work in the office at the Cal Poly Book Store, and I blew off my first day for this!! I spent the day staring at Paul, completely star struck. At the end of the day they gave us each $50. I couldn't believe they were paying me for the best day of my life!! I called Sydney when I got home and I completely lost it - I was crying hysterically and she thought someone had died. I was just beside myself with joy!! You can see me briefly in the video if you don't blink. Linda McCartney yells "Fire!" and we all rush out of the building. I am wearing a green and yellow plaid dress (wardrobe - not my choice)and I'm on the far right of the screen. It's about 4 minutes and 17 seconds in. Seeing that again also made my day. It was so thoughtful of Patrick to find it and send it to me. I really appreciated it.

So, yesterday was a pretty bad day for me, in terms of how miserable I was feeling. My AVID kids, Debra, and Patrick made it better. I'm so grateful to have so many loving, thoughtful people in my life. I'm glad that I tend to keep friendships for years - Debra and I will always be friends - and that I have old boyfriends I'm still in touch with. Sydney laughs at me, but I'm in touch with most of them! I'm extremely grateful for my wonderful students, who send me text messages, Facebook messages and emails of encouragement. These are the things that make me strong and help me to get through the difficult days. I am better today, but will probably still be resting and recovering in bed through the weekend.

Namaste,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment