Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Benefits of Yogaflirt!

As the "Kick Cancer Carnival" approaches, Cathy asked me to answer a question: How has Yogaflirt been the most beneficial to me? It has been beneficial in so many ways that it's not an easy answer. I would have to say it has benefited me physically, emotionally, spiritually and socially.

The two surgeries within a month of each other in 2008 left my core muscles shattered. The hysterectomy incision goes across my stomach and the cancer debulking incision goes straight down the middle. My muscles were sliced both directions, and the core strength I had developed in my yoga practice was gone. Cathy told me that Yogaflirt would be the real core builder, but that I had to wait until I was strong enough to attempt it. I did privates with Cathy throughout my treatment and when I had built my strength up I started level one. I was able to achieve level four before I got sick again. The warm ups for the different levels are challenging and build core strength. It takes a lot of core and upper body strength to climb and spin. The physical strength I gained from Yogaflirt was unlike anything I have experienced in an aerobics or strength training class. When I had my second cancer surgery in September of 2010 I realized how strong my core really was. Once again, my muscles were cut down the middle and sitting up had to be accomplished by rolling onto my side. I barely left my bed for two months afterward, yet after three months I could already sit up without turning to my side. Yogaflirt had made me so strong that my recovery happened much more quickly that it would have otherwise. It has been six months now and I feel like my core strength is almost all the way back.

Emotionally YF has been very good for me. I left every class, in every level, feeling joyful, like a child at the end of an afternoon of play. The classes are playful, although I never challenged myself to that degree when I was a kid! The supportive atmosphere among the women is inspiring and uplifting and makes me feel good. Since my cancer was gynecological and the surgeries left me with a lumpy tummy, YF helped me to feel sexy and feminine again, and that has huge emotional benefits. I also challenged myself in ways that were new, and conquered some fears. Many of the spins are frightening at first, and It was new for me to even attempt to face one of my fears. After facing cancer, three surgeries and chemotherapy, everything else seems less scary. Still, attempting to go upside down, doing some of the spins and getting my sexy on in a room full of women was way out of my box and that's good for me!

Spiritually, YF opens up other dimensions in my heart and in my mind. Level one starts off with the yoga concept of "ahimsa" which is about not judging, yourself or others. The flirts take this to heart, and class is all about loving, supporting, and urging each other on. I never felt judged if I couldn't do something correctly, and everyone is eager to compliment and cheer for everyone else. YF strengthens the mind-body-spirit connection and takes you to that quiet place where you can get in touch with your higher self and experience heart opening spirituality.

Socially, YF has given me a network of loving, caring, supportive women. I felt close to the women in my classes. The camaraderie is present at Open Pole, where flirts from all levels mingle and play together. The first time I went I was so scared my hand was shaking as I signed in. I have always had fears involving trying something new in front of people I don't know. I remember Cathy smiling at me and saying. "Don't worry, this is fun!" She was so right. It doesn't matter if the girl next to you at Open Pole is a friend from your level or someone you just met who is three levels above you, she is going to be friendly and supportive. So many of these women are helping Cathy to organize my fund raiser, and they may or may not know me. It is characteristic of the flirt community to be so caring and to want to help.

Of course, all of these many benefits come to me because Cathy came into my life. I wonder how many people go looking for a yoga teacher and find someone who is so perfect for them at the first studio they try? I just feel like Cathy is my yoga angel and she was sent here to help me deal with my cancer. When I needed something more to strengthen my core, she started Yogalfirt. I think part of my purpose is to help people who have cancer, and Cathy was sent to me to get me started on that path. I am a better person today because I have cancer, because Cathy came into my life, and because I'm a flirt. I love Yogaflirt and I can't wait to get back to it!!

Somehow, this turned into an essay, Cathy!! Ask an English teacher a simple question...! If anyone out there reading has a question they'd like me to answer, let me know. I like having an assigned topic!!

Namaste, Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment