Friday, March 25, 2011

More Blessings

The cancer blessings continue. The mom of a former student saw the article in the A-News and bought tickets to the fund raiser. I thanked her via email and she responded, saying I made an impression on her son and she's happy to contribute so I can continue my work. This morning I received an email from a former student who saw the article online. She lives in Denver, has 3 daughters and twin sons they adopted from Ethiopa. She told me she is inspired by my story and that I was one of her favorite teachers. I remember her clearly and was moved by her email. My cousin Becca called me yesterday and she and her husband went vegan after she read 20 pages of the Anti-Cancer book, and she went looking for a yoga studio. She says my blog changed her life. I never expected to be an inspiration to anyone, but it's very gratifying. I feel a bit like Tom Sawyer up in the tree, listening to his funeral. I have tangible evidence of how the people in my life love me. This touches me deeply and makes me feel very grateful.

Connections, gratitude, blessings. In addition to the pain, nausea, needles, chemo, ER visits...cancer has brought these blessings to my life. It has made me a better person. It has deepened my relationships. It has brought Casey and I even closer. It has deepened my yoga practice and my connection to my wonderful yoga teachers. It has even brought me closer to Bella, my beautiful dog. In spite of this awful disease, I feel happy. This may be the biggest weapon in my arsenal. Everyone out there who has helped us, and so many have...whether it's by sending me a card, mailing me books, bringing a meal, giving me private yoga classes, putting on a huge fund raiser, donating to or attending one of the fund raisers...each and every one of you has helped me to stay strong, to stay positive, and to stay happy through all of this.

I don't think I'll ever take any aspect of my life for granted again. Cancer teaches you what it really means to appreciate every day, every person in your life, every moment, and to count your blessings. It's better to focus on the things that are right in your life and to dwell on the things that are wrong. Chalk them up to lessons, learn from them, and be happy. Most of all, be happy. Tell the people who matter to you how you feel about them, all the time. In the words of JT: "Shower the people you love with love, tell them the way that you feel..." It feels good to do it and it feels good to be told!

Casey: My rock, my best friend, my love:


Namaste,

Jill

2 comments:

  1. Namaste! You inspire all of us dear Jill:)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could be there tomorrow, Jilly. But I'll have you in my heart and mind during my run!

    ReplyDelete