Monday, March 14, 2011

I Feel Good!


This is me, after my blissful yoga session with Jean and Rachel this morning. My curls came back! My hair tends to go straight after I color it and this time it lasted longer than usual. I assume it's because of the chemo , but it could be the natural hair color. I'm always glad to see my curls come bouncing back. I haven't written since Thursday because I've actually been kind of busy!

Friday morning I went to Target and Ross with Susan. It felt so good to be out and about in the world! We played until 11:00 and then Cathy picked me up and she and I went to the Atascadero Women in Business luncheon. Cathy spoke about Yoga Flirt and about my fund raiser. Cathy's public speaking skills are excellent, which isn't surprising with her background as a school teacher, a yoga teacher, a yoga flirt teacher and teacher trainer. Plus Cathy does everything well. Several women had something positive to say about their experience with Yoga Flirt or the experience of someone they know. My favorite was about a timid woman who found her self-confidence as a flirt. There's no doubt it makes you walk taller and feel prouder. It's a beautiful thing when your chosen profession makes you happy and it also helps people. That's what makes a happy life, I think. Thanks, Cathy. I had fun and I always love spending time with you, basking in your sparkle.

Saturday morning Casey and I went to Yoga in the Vines for Jean's class and my friend Krissy joined us. We practiced to Abbey Road and I was very happy about that and just about being there. Sydney arrived as class ended and we met her at Colby Jack's for breakfast. Yum! Later Sydney and I went to Ambrosia, an antique and second hand clothing store on El Camino near our house. There is a lot to look at there and it was fun! I had never been in there before, but Katie Scroggins told me she loves it so I knew I would. Thanks, Katie. My former student, Julia Arroyo, works there and it was great to see her.

The biggest thing that Sydney and I did was purge my closet. Sydney needs her own TV show, called "You Can Do Better." She's much prettier and more clever than the woman on "What Not to Wear." I tried on 100% of the clothing in my closet and she said "Yay" or "Nay." Actually what she said was more along the lines of "Really?" and "Please tell me you don't wear that to work!" Apparently I tend to purchase clothing in colors that wash me out and that are a size or two too big. I like baggy dresses, what can I say? She says she wants to me look fabulous all of the time, that I deserve to look fabulous all the time, and that I should never wear anything that doesn't make me look fabulous. Her final, condemning comment that sent over half of my closet packing was "You can do better." What would I do without her? I always take her with me to Macy's when I shop. She makes me try things on that I don't like, and she's almost always right. She has an eye for color, fashion, what looks good on my body type...she reads a lot of fashion magazines and she has the eye for it. She shakes her head at my hippie chick look and smiles indulgently. Susan asked if she could take the discarded clothing to a resale store in Morro Bay that donates a portion of the proceeds to Wood's Humane Society, where I adopted both Margy and Bella. I have such great friends!! Thanks, Sydney and Susan.

Which leads me to the way I'm feeling today. My heart feels tender from all of the horrific news form Japan, first of all. In addition to that, after my yoga class and all of my generous, wonderful friends doing so much for me...I feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

Namaste, Jill

2 comments:

  1. Great post Jill.
    What great friends. I think Jen would like a "Sydney Pal" to go through her closet with her.

    But, I do love the hippie chick look and think you look fabulous all the time. Let me know if your "hippie van" is feeling left out; especially if Sydney thinks you will look fabulous in a nice little VW Bug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy for you Jill. I cannot, however, in good conscious, not share Syd's own history with the "closet makeover" courtesy of her 3 sisters. Our comments were not so pleasant however. It was more like,"Are you crazy? Why would you wear that in public? Why do you still have your winter coat from 8th grade? Can you possibly look any more like an extra in a "Poison" video? And on and on. Glad to see she is paying it forward! She is quite the fashionista now.

    ReplyDelete