Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ventura Trip

My trip to Ventura with Susan was great. We took Stella Blue, and at Casey's request Susan drove. I decided that if it made him worry less it was a good idea, and I also realized he was right - it would make me tired. Even though I was a passenger and the most strenuous thing I did was walk around downtown Ventura...I was asleep by 7:30 last night and I slept for 12 solid hours. Even though I feel strong, it doesn't take a whole lot to tire me out. It is common for people undergoing cancer treatment to suffer from chronic fatigue, so getting tired after a big adventure is no big deal. I give yoga the credit for keeping the fatigue at bay. Once again, big love and gratitude to Cathy, Jean and Rachel...and to yoga!!

Mary's Secret Garden, the organic, vegan & raw restaurant in Ventura, is sooooo awesome. Susan and I had lunch there, and then returned with Sydney for dinner. Everything we ordered was beyond delicious. Sydney and Susan agreed that if they could eat like that all the time they could be vegan. After dinner we had dessert - peanut butter & chocolate mousse cake with ice cream & chocolate sauce. Yes, it was vegan and made without processed sugar, and it tasted just as wonderful as any cake I've ever had. We don't need processed sugar - there are many other options - nor do we need dairy. When you eat food like this, it makes your body feel wonderful and it thanks you. If you are in Ventura or passing through, stop and check it out. Even the most dedicated meat eater will admit the food is great.

I had my make-up done at Coastal Skin Care. I researched it online and they got high ratings for their non-toxic make-up and skin care line. It all felt wonderful going on my skin, and the experience was very relaxing. I purchased all new make-up and today I will toss all of my old stuff. In 2008 I went to a "Look Good, Feel Better" session at the Hearst Cancer Center in SLO. They taught us how to put on make-up when you don't have eyebrows or lashes, then gave us all a big bag of free make-up and let us pick a hat. That is what I've been using since, and I have only purchased mascara in the last three years. I think I was due. The products in the bag were all expensive, but it's too bad the cancer center doesn't provide products that aren't toxic. It's like the food in the hospital. They feed you exactly what a cancer patient shouldn't be eating. We have a lot of work to do in terms of caring for cancer patients. Buying products without toxins is part of my changing lifestyle to keep the cancer at bay. Fallopian tube and ovarian cancer tend to recur. There are many women on the OVCA list serve who have had multiple recurrences and secondary cancers. I am determined to win this battle for good.

I believe this was the first time I've ever hung out with Sydney and Susan, just the three of us. They are my two besties. Sydney and I have been friends since 1979 and Susan and I since 1984. They are both virgos and what I call "handle it girls." People turn to them when they need something done because they are both so organized, efficient, and awesome. It was wonderful, spending time with them together. Love you, Sydney and Susan! Thanks for all the years of friendship. I'm so lucky to have you both in my life.

I'm going to the Spring Solstice yoga workshop at Yoga in the Vines from 1-3 today. I know it will make me tired again tonight, but I also know it will make me feel strong and happy. It's pouring, it poured all night, and our roof is leaking and our basement is flooding. Happy Spring Equinox!!

Susan and her beautiful kids Cassidy and Trevor at the Madonna Inn:


My beautiful friend Sydney:




Namaste,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment