Monday, January 24, 2011


I am posting this picture of my yoga teacher, Jean, so that everyone knows he is not a woman, and that his name has the French pronunciation, Like Jean-Luc Picard. He was here this morning, and I got the "lovin' on Jill" variety of yoga. Love that Thai massage! I find that the more yoga I do prior to Chemo the better I handle it.

I'm sad that my lovely week off is ending but I am resigned to my fate. The sore on my tongue has spread a bit, and I have s few other places that feel sensitive. Every time I see my oncologist or his PA, they ask if I have had any problems with sores in my mouth. It has not been a problem, until now. My tongue and my throat look pale, which I'm guessing is due to my low blood count.

I keep picking up books to read and then they turn out to be about cancer. Shows how prevalent it is and that everyone is affected by it in some way. The current book is about scientists who are doing research, trying to find better treatments or a cure. It has to do with the politics of getting published and the timing and ethics of it - wanting to publish first and get the credit before someone else does and all that. The desire to make your mark and make your name. At least this one isn't about a character that has cancer, because as I said before they tend in die in fiction. Dogs and cancer patients don't survive in fiction!

Despite my good intentions I took no walk yesterday. The days speed by and it's evening time before I know it. I have been watching so much football and basketball with Casey that I know who the players are and I'm actually starting to enjoy it, which is uncharacteristic of me. I used to watch football with my dad because no one else in the family watched with him and I felt bad for him. He would teach me about it, so I do understand what's going on. Pat Conroy's book about basketball helped me to understand that game, and since he was a point guard I get Steve Nash. I have come to appreciate Koby and his end of the game three point miracle saves, and I admit it's fun watching Blake Griffin. Nothing like being house bound to make me take an interest in something that used to bore me!!

Today will be about preparing for treatment. Getting the laundry done, cooking some food, preparing mentally. Doing some visualization that involves vanquished cancer cells, that sort of thing. I'll finish my book and start a new one, take a walk, maybe brush my dog some more. It's weird, knowing that in three days I'll feel like I have the flu and be bed bound for four days. If I feel bad, imagine how bad those cancer cells feel!

Namaste,
Jill

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I thought Jean and Cathy were both girls. Thanks for posting Jean's pic & I like that you used a Star Trek reference to explain the pronunciation :) Sending cancer-vanquishing thoughts to you! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, I am reading a book called "The Guru in you". It made me think about you. Grace and
    Lea asked me "how is Aunty Syd's friend with the "hair cancer" doing? We are still praying for her." I want you to know that we are still keeping you and your fight in our consciousness EVERY DAY! Grace is participating in her 1st spelling bee today. Just to change the subject a bit. Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete