Wednesday, January 26, 2011

On Tuesdays before treatment I go into my oncologist's office and a nurse draws blood. They check my white and red blood cell counts, among other things, to make sure I'm healthy enough to withstand another round. They draw the blood out of my port, it only takes a minute, and it's no big deal. Until yesterday. The smell of the antiseptic Valerie put on my skin before she accessed the port seemed to assault my senses and I became thoroughly nauseous. I had to concentrate to keep from throwing up on the floor. On the drive home, I sat with a grocery bag on my lap and listened to Michael Franti intently to keep from throwing up. I got into bed early and took my anti-nausea medication, which helped. I'm OK this morning, but even more anxious about today's treatment. I do the treatment sitting in a recliner chair in a room with several other people who are also doing chemo. If one of us starting vomiting I imagine it could easily influence the others and we could have a barf fest similar to the barfing scene in Stand By Me!!

Cathy is coming for a private class today, and she told me yesterday we are going to work on my anxiety today. She and Jean both always know just what I need! It was wonderful going to Cathy's yoga class yesterday, once again. Marcie, the massage therapist I went to last week, was there next to me and to her right were two of her three daughters. So nice to see a family practicing yoga together!! They are all wonderful women.

When we arrived home yesterday, the mailman had left our mail on the porch because there was a package. Susan Mattson Honeycutt, who moved to Eureka in junior high and lived a block from me, sent me an adorable top and two packets of aromatherapy for the bath. It made my day! One thing cancer shows me is how kind people are. Pretty much every time I go to the mailbox I find a card or a present from someone. When I was sick in bed after my last treatment a beautiful bouquet of flowers arrived from my friend Debra in San Diego. Debra is also from Eureka, but we met in SLO town. Those flowers are still in my bedroom, and they are beginning to fade now but they lasted a very long time. Thanks, Susan and Debra. The love, kindness and generosity coming my way really helps me to stay strong. I am blessed to have so any wonderful friends and a community who supports me.

I started Facebooking the last time I was sick to keep people informed. It has turned into such a blessing. I have connected with so many friends, strengthened so many relationships and I get to still be involved vicariously in my student's lives. For me, Facebook is all about the connections. I really enjoyed the responses to the describe how you met me post. Between Facebook and attending all but one reunion, I have made a whole new group of friends from my high school class. I am really looking forward to our next reunion!!

Casey's metaphor for the cancer battle is going into the tunnel. I feel like I get to be out of it on my week off, but this afternoon I go back in for the start of

round six at 2:30. Think of me and send some no puking on the floor karma my way so I don't start a puke fest, OK?

Namaste, Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment