Monday, January 3, 2011

Food, Family and Yoga

In my last post I mentioned a four year old with ovarian cancer. Over the weekend there was a link to an article on the List Serve about a seven month old baby who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Thankfully, bot children survived. Today a woman was writing about her sister, who was diagnosed with stage IIIc ovarian cancer in 2007 and died this month. There was also a post by a woman who was also diagnosed with IIIc and is celebrating her 13th anniversary of her original diagnosis. My diagnosis was also IIIc. Some women survive, some do not. Sometimes this cancer responds to treatment and sometimes it doesn't. The woman who survived has endured three recurrences and also a breast cancer diagnosis. I am determined to vanquish this cancer and put this behind me.

Over the weekend I worked on this. The strongest weapon I have is yoga. It empowers my mind, my spirit and my body to fight. Saturday I went to a yoga workshop at Yoga in the Vines. I had not been to the studio since my send off yoga class September 9th. It was good to see some friends - Jean and Melanie - and to just be back in the beautiful studio. It was a detox and restorative workshop, and I was picturing gentle poses with lots of props. It was actually a challenging class. I had to avail myself of child's pose more than once, but I was able to hang in there and do almost everything everyone else did. I felt very strong and proud of myself. Sunday Jean came over and we did a private class. Between the two classes, I am very sore! It feels so good to move my body to the point of soreness. I firmly believe that yoga will save my life and keep the cancer at bay.

On new Year's Eve and our one year anniversary, we went to Colby Jack's Cafe for dinner. My sister-in-law Chris and her daughter Sarah were here for NYE and for all of the yoga. The food at Colby Jack's was amazing - five courses of gourmet, yummy food. It's rather surprising to find such a great restaurant in our little town! We had a great time.

Chris spent the rest of the weekend cooking. She left us with a fridge and a freezer full of yummy food. She is an excellent cook. So, we had a weekend full of amazing yoga, delicious meals and family. It was a great way to start off the new year.

Happy,healthy new year to everyone. Namaste, Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment