Tuesday, April 12, 2011

City by the Bay and lots of pictures

I loved my trip to SF with Sydney, but I am exhausted. Honestly, it was too much for me. I forgot how much walking is involved in visiting the City, and about how one never sleeps well in an unfamiliar bed. The bed felt like a slab of cement and the radiator hissed when it kicked in. I do not regret a moment of it, but I wore myself out. We walked a minimum of 3 hours a day, usually more. I tried to eat really well, but wasn't always successful. There were two yoga studios near our hotel, but one was Birkim and one was uphill and had no parking nearby. The hill was challenging just holding my purse. I didn't attempt the uphill walk carrying my Manduka, which is heavy and bulky. The hotel room was large by SF standards, but there was not enough floor space for yoga. Yoga keeps me strong and healthy and without it I did not do as well. I slept eleven hours last night, and I don't feel like I'm finished.

In the box watching the game:




Going to the Giant's game in the luxury box was really, really fun. So nice to get whisked up to it in an elevator from a side entrance and avoid the crowds. I would not have been comfortable in a regular seat for that long. It was nice to be able to walk into the inside part of the box to get a beverage or a snack, to walk across the hall to the bathroom with tons of stalls and no line, and to be with Dani and Boyd's family and friends, who were all great. I always have fun when I'm with any combination of the 4 Phillips sisters. They were all there except Ande and her kids, and we missed them. This will surprise many of you, but I really enjoyed the game and actually watched it. My only disappointment, besides the Giants losing, was that I was hoping to see a home run ball go splash! The highlights of our trip were Macy's shoe department and the Giants game. Hugs and thanks to Dani and Boyd. Love you!

Shani, Dani and Sydney:




In literature and in movies, sometimes the setting becomes a character, especially when it's a famous city. I've always felt like San Francisco is like that for me. It's more than just a city and has always loomed large in my mind. My dad attended Hastings Law School in SF and so he not only loved the City, he knew it well. My mom was afraid her kids would end up being hicks, so we went there fairly often. The motel directly across the street from ours was where I stayed with my mom and dad when we bought my first car in 1979. I could almost feel mom walking next to me in Union Square and in Macy's. I was there with her, many times. They took me there to see doctors when I was little. Three blood transfusions at birth because of our RH incompatibility left me with some issues. We went to San Francisco to see doctors if the ailment was serious. I remember being there with mom and dad in the '70's, and they bought me a pair of Frye boots, gaucho pants and a matching vest. New sunglasses and I thought I was smokin' hot! The pictures are funny. :) Jack and I lived in Sunnyvale for two years, and we went to the City a lot. We went for special occasions like our anniversary and sometimes just for fun. My college friend, Kiva, was living there and I spent a lot of time there with her. I remember JR fretting because his gorgeous coat was getting wet - wool? cashmere? - and I told him "Don't panic, it's organic!" I remember my daddy being at Ralph K Davies Rehab Center after his stroke. Joyce stayed with him in a family room in the hospital and I drove mom back and forth every weekend so that she could keep dad's law office open. In more recent years, Susan I have been going to Michael Franti's fundraisers for the Power to the Peaceful show and to the show itself. So, I have happy memories of San Francisco going back as far as I can remember. This trip adds to a host of memories. I love you, city by the bay!

Driving down twisty Lombard St:




We went to Oakland after the game and spent the night with Richard and Brandon. Richard was in my dorm at Cal Poly. He and I spent the summer of 1981 in Europe together. We did a multi-city tour, then we went to Switzerland for a month to visit my friend Nick, who was an exchange student my senior year and he lived with my boyfriend Art's family. Richard studied architecture in college, so he was awesome to travel with - knew everything about the art and the architecture in every city. He also knew all about the theatre and so we saw Cats with the original cast and Amadeus. Their home in Oakland is beautiful - huge, gorgeous yard and a home filled with furniture and art bought in Europe. We love them and it was great to spend a little time with them.

I probably have more to say but I don't feel every well. I'm going back to bed for awhile. Chemo tomorrow.

Today's house picture is Casey at work in his office:


Namaste,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment