Saturday, April 23, 2011

I Need Yoga to Kick Cancer's Butt & Who is John Galt?

I thought that I felt bad because the San Francisco trip wore me out. I was wrong. It was the lack of yoga that did me in. I started feeling bad Saturday, after 3 days without practicing. I went into my last chemo treatment feeling weak and tired. Yoga with Cathy the next day perked me up and I briefly felt better, but then I went another 7 days without practicing. Casey would ask me to join him while he practiced, and the thought of even a down dog seemed like too much, given the nausea. I didn't go to Cathy's Tuesday class, and I now realize that was a mistake. Friday Jean and Rachel came to the rescue. Without them I would have stayed in bed and had another nauseous day. This morning I went to jean's class at Yoga in the Vines. I admit it, it kicked my butt. I was sweating, panting, breathing hard...ridding myself of toxins, deepening my practice, striving for enlightenment. The focus was arm balances, and Jean says if you achieve the balance on one you can do them all, that a door will open. The door cracked a bit for me today. Jean helped me into an arm balance whose name I don't recall - half a firefly, maybe?? :) For the first time, I felt what it feels like for my body to be in that shape. Over and over, with both Cathy and with Jean, this has happened. They put me there, I feel it, and it puts me closer to achieving it. Anyway, message received, universe. It is, indeed, the yoga that keeps me feeling healthy, strong, positive, and gives me what I need to kick cancer's butt. Casey is developing his practice, my brother and sis-in-law are practicing like crazy...it makes me very happy. I love yoga!!

I finally went to our brand new movie theatre today. Katie Scroggins (former star AVID student of mine who is, as of today, officially going to UCSD in the fall!!!) to see Atlas Shrugged, Part One. I didn't even know they made it into a movie until day before yesterday, and I was thrilled to discover that Katie read it in English at AHS. It's pretty ambitious to teach Ayn Rand to high school kids, even college bound honors kids, so kudos to Ms. Harrison! I told Katie I couldn't think of anyone else I know who has read the book and would want to see the movie with me. Hooray for smart kids and good English teachers! If you haven't read the novel, and The Fountainhead, you should. Loved it, can't wait for part two.

This is the T-shirt for the "It Takes a Village to Kick Cancer's Butt" fundraiser at Pomar Junction Winery next weekend: I love my village!


Namaste,
Jill

1 comment:

  1. Cool - I was in yoga class on Saturday morning too. That and massage felt great. Congratulations to Katie. UCSD is a beautiful campus and LaJolla is a great hangout.

    ReplyDelete